The National Documentation Center (NDC)
The National Documentation Centre (EKT) is the backbone organisation of the national infrastructure for scientific documentation, online information and support services on science, research and technology. EKT is a national body that has been operating at the National Hellenic Research Foundation and is supervised by the General Secretariat for Research and Technology of the Ministry of Culture, Education and Religious Affairs.
Activities - Services
Activities targeted at organizing and disseminating Science and Technology (S&T) content
- Development of Digital S&T Library, providing cohesive and efficient access to organized sources of information and knowledge (Greek S&T databases, National Archive of PhD Theses, International databases and electronic journals)
- Digitization of Greek S&T content
- Operation of Electronic Reading Room
- Provision of information retrieval and document ordering services
- Cooperation with relevant institutions (libraries, archives, universities, museums, etc) and development of common actions for the establishment of a knowledge-based institutions network
Activities targeted at libraries
- Development and provision of software for the automation of the Greek libraries' operations (ABEKT) and development of bibliographical tools (1st Greek edition of the Dewey Decimal Classification System, Greek Thesaurus, etc)
- Development of Library networks (National Network of Science and Technology Libraries, consortium of research centres and academic libraries)
- Operation of Interlibrary Loan System and provision of Union Catalogue of Journals
- Support activities towards public and private libraries for the automation of their operations, the online provision of catalogues and the training of personnel
Information and support on Research - Technology - Innovation issues
- EKT web site (www.ekt.gr): special sections on European Programmes, R&D news and events, selected web resources, etc.
- Greek CORDIS web service for information on research and innovation issues (www.cordis.lu/greece): development and support in cooperation with CORDIS (Community Research and Development Information Service)
- Bimonthly magazine ''Innovation, Research & Technology''
- Biweekly eNewsletter ''Research and Innovation'' and eNewsletter for the public libraries
Activities targeted at providing support of cooperation in RTD issues and linking research with industry
- EKT is National Contact Point for the European Framework Programmes and the programmes "eContent", "ASIA IT&C", "Security Research"
- EKT is the coordinator/partner of the following EU projects: IDEAL-IST, EuroMEDANet & EuroMEDANet2, ERA-WestBalkan, ASBIMED, SMEs go LifeSciences, FISH, EASIER
- EKT is the coordinator of the Hellenic Innovation Relay Centre, a member of the European IRC Network, aiming to the promotion of innovative technologies and services, and the facilitation of international technology transfer agreements