Director of Research at the Theoretical and Physical Chemistry Institute, NHRF
1998 - 2002
Senior Researcher at TPCI/NHRF
1992 - 1998
Associate Researcher at TPCI/NHRF
1988 - 1991
Assistant Researcher at the TPCI/NHRF
1985 - 1986
Travelling Scholar from Brown University to NHRF, Athens.
1984 - 1987
Research and Teaching Assistant, Chemistry Department, Brown University, USA.
MAIN RESEARCH INTERESTS
Crystallochemistry of minerals. Structure / property relationships with emphasis in the study of clays by Near-Infrared spectroscopy. Clay-based hybrid materials.
Structural / spectroscopic characterization of polymers - biopolymers. Secondary structures and interactions at interfaces. Colloids.
Synthesis of inorganic and hybrid materials (glassy, crystalline, ceramic) and the use of vibrational spectroscopic techniques (Fourier transform infrared and Raman) for their structural characterization,
Application of spectroscopic techniques to industrial production monitoring and quality control - Chemometrics
Coordinator of about 20 research projects funded by the private sector, or by National and EU sources.
CONFERENCES AND INVITED TALKS
He has participated in more than 50 international conferences, 8 invited.
Graduate seminar courses in Applied Vibrational Spectroscopy. Univ. of Athens (Dept. of Biology) and Univ. of Ioannina (Dept. of Materials Engin.).
HONORS & AWARDS
The Potter Prize for the best doctorate Thesis in Chemistry, Brown University, USA
AT&T Prize for outstanding research, Brown University, USA
William T. King Award for excellence in teaching, Brown University, USA
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & ACTIVITIES
Member of the Clay Minerals Society, USA.
92 publications in international journals, 33 papers in conference proceedings, 2 international patents, co-editor of one book. More than 3000 citations (h-index=28).
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
1. "Vibrational investigation of indigo-palygorskite association(s) in synthetic Maya Blue", C. Tsiantos, M. Tsampodimou, G. H. Kacandes, M. Sanchez del Rio, V. Gionis and G. D. Chryssikos, J. Mater. Sci., 47, 3415-3428 (2012)
2. "Trioctahedral entities in palygorskite: Near-infrared evidence for sepiolite-palygorskite polysomatism", E. T. Stathopoulou, M. Suarez, E. Garcia-Romero, M. Sanchez del Rio, G. H. Kacandes, V. Gionis and G. D. Chryssikos, Eur. J. Mineralogy, Eur. J. Mineral. 23, 567-576 (2011)
3. "Complexation of Lysozyme with Poly(sodium(sulfamate-carboxylate)isoprene)", M. Karayianni, S. Pispas, G. D. Chryssikos, V. Gionis, S. Giatrellis, and G. Nounesis, Biomacromolecules, 12, 1679-1706 (2011)
4. "Secondary structure of chorion proteins of the Lepidoptera Pericallia ricini and Ariadne merioni by ATR FT-IR and micro-Raman spectroscopy", A. K. Shrivastava, V. A. Iconomidou, G. D. Chryssikos, V. Gionis, K. Kumar and S. J. Hamodrakas, Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 49, 317-322 (2011)
5. "A combined synchrotron powder diffraction and vibrational study of the thermal treatment of palygorskite-indigo to produce Maya Blue", M. Sanchez del Rio, E. Boccaleri, M. Milanesio, G. Croce, W. van Beek, C. Tsiantos, G. D. Chryssikos, V. Gionis, G. H. Kacandes, M. Suarez and E. Garcia-Romero, J. Mater. Sci., 44, 5524 (2009)
6. "Octahedral cation distribution in Palygorskite", G. D. Chryssikos, V. Gionis, G. H. Kacandes, E. T. Stathopoulou, M. Suarez, E. Garcia-Romero and M. Sanchez del Rio, American Mineralogist, 94, 200-203 (2009)
7. "Bone diagenesis: new data from Infrared Spectroscopy and X-ray Diffraction",E.T. Stathopoulou, V. Psycharis, G.D. Chryssikos, V. Gionis and G. Theodorou, Palaeogeography Palaeoclimatology Palaeoecoloy, 226, 168-174 (2008)
8. "Combined near-infrared and XRD investigation of the octahedral sheet composition of palygorskite", V. Gionis, G. H. Kacandes, I. D. Kastritis and G. D. Chryssikos, Clays and Clay Minerals, 55, 543 (2007)