Structure-property correlations in materials (oxide and chalcogenide amorphous electrolytes in bulk and thin film forms, ceramics, polymers, charge transfer compounds)
Coordinator or participant in more than thirty five national and international research projects in collaboration with academic and industrial organizations (national: STRIDE, Networks, PENED, PAVE, Istos, Bilateral Scientific Schemes; NATO: International Scientific Exchange Programs; EU: Human Potential, Marie Curie, INCO, STREP, TOK).
CONFERENCES AND INVITED TALKS
Over 60 international conferences. More than 50 invited lectures at conferences, academic and research institutions. Member of organizing or scientific committees of 20 international and 5 national conferences. Co-chairman of the Int'l Symposium on Glass Science and Technology (Athens, 1993); Co-organizer of session Spectroscopic Studies of Glass Structure, 18th International Congress on Glass (San Francisco, California, 1998); Co-chairman of the 7th ESG Conference on Glass Science and Technology (Athens, 2004).
Part of graduate courses in Applied Molecular Spectroscopy (Chem. Dept., U. of Crete, 1998-2000) and Polymer Science and Applications (Chem. Dept., U. of Athens, 2002-2009, 2011-). Supervision of eight Ph.D. and five honors students and ten postdoctoral research fellows.
RESEARCH MANAGEMENT AND EVALUATION
Member (09/1992-10/97) and chairman (11/1997-) of the Scientific Advisory Council of the TPCI. Director of the TPCI/NHRF (10/1997-10/02, 01/2004-01/09, 06/2009-) and member of the Governing Board of the NHRF (11/1997-). Member of electoral committees of Greek Research Centers. Regular referee for international journals in the fields of physical chemistry and materials science. Reviewer for national and international research projects.
Member of the TES Natural Sciences (06/2011-), of the National Council for Research & Technology (ESET).
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
Association of Greek Chemists; Advisory Panel on Physical and Engineering Science & Technology of the ΝΑΤΟ Science Committee (11/2002-6/04); Technical Committees on Basic Glass Science (2001-) and Vibrations and Glass Structure (2009-) of the Int'l Commission on Glass (ICG); Council of the ICG (09/2004-); International Board of Advisers of the Int'l Materials Institute for New Functionality in Glass (2004-).
AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS
National Fellowship Foundation of Greece (1973-77); Brown University Fellowship by Du Pont (1979); Brown University Fellowships (1980-83); Sigma Xi-Elected (1981); The Potter Prize in chemistry for the best Ph.D. thesis, Brown University (1984).
Over 160 papers in refereed journals, 2 int'l patents, 6 invited papers/chapters in books, over 55 articles in proceedings of int'l and national conferences, co-editor of 2 books. More than 3700 citations and h-index=32.
1. "Synthesis and multiscale evaluation of LiNbO3-containing silicate glass-ceramics with efficient isotropic SHG response", H. Vigouroux, E. Fargin, S. Gomez, B. Le Garrec, G. Mountrichas, E.I. Kamitsos, F. Adamietz, M. Dussauze, and V. Rodriguez, Adv. Funct. Mater., DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201200651 (2012).
2. "Investigation of CuI-containing molybdophosphate glasses by infrared reflectance spectroscopy", C.P.E. Varsamis, E.I. Kamitsos, T. Minami, and N. Machida, J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 11671 (2012).
3. "SHG and orientation phenomena in chromophore DR1 containing polymer films", D. Moncke, G. Mountrichas, S. Pispas, E.I. Kamitsos, and V. Rodriguez, Photonics Nanostuct. 9, 119 (2011).
4. "Effect of synthesis method on the structure and properties of AgPO3-based glasses", I. Konidakis, C.P.E. Varsamis, and E.I. Kamitsos, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 357, 2684 (2011).
5. "Correlation between second-order optical response and structure in thermally poled sodium niobium-germanate glass", G. Guimbretiere, M. Dussauze, V. Rodriguez, and E.I. Kamitsos, Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 171103 (2010).
6. "Pressure-induced structural transformations in glass 0.3Li2O-0.7B2O3: a molecular dynamics study", A. Vegiri and E.I. Kamitsos, Phys. Rev. B 82, 54114 (2010).
7. "Structure and properties of mixed strontium-manganese metaphosphate glasses", I. Konidakis, C.P.E. Varsamis, E.I. Kamitsos, D. Moncke, and D. Ehrt, J. Phys. Chem. C 114, 9125 (2010).
8. "Polarization mechanisms and structural rearrangements in thermally poled sodium-alumino phosphate glasses", M. Dussauze, V. Rodriguez, L.L. Velli, C.P.E. Varsamis, and E.I. Kamitsos, J. Appl. Phys. 107, 043505 (2010).
9. "Molecular dynamics investigation of mixed-alkali borate glasses: Short range order structure and alkali ion environments", A. Vegiri, C.-P. E. Varsamis, and E. I. Kamitsos, Phys. Rev. B 80, 184202 (2009).
10. "Refractive index distribution in the nonlinear optical layer of thermally poled oxide glasses", M. Dussauze, E.I. Kamitsos, E. Fargin, and V. Rodriguez, Chem. Phys. Lett. 470, 63 (2009).
11. "Lithium ion induced nanophase ordering and ion mobility in ionic block copolymers", E. Ioannou, G. Mountrichas, S. Pispas, E.I. Kamitsos, and G. Floudas, Macromolecules 41, 6183 (2008).
12. "Nitrogen flow rate as a new key parameter for the nitridation of electrolyte thin films", Y. Hamon, P. Vinatier, E.I. Kamitsos, M. Dussauze, C.P.E. Varsamis, D. Zielniok, C. Roesser, and B. Roling, Solid State Ionics 179, 1223 (2008).
13. "Structure and optical properties of amorphous lead-germanate films developed by pulsed laser deposition", M. Dussauze, A. Giannoudakos, L. Velli, C.P.E. Varsamis, M. Kompitsas, and E.I. Kamitsos, J. Chem. Phys. 127, 34704 (2007).
14. "Structural rearrangements and second order optical properties in the space charge layer of thermally poled sodium-niobium borophosphate glasses", M. Dussauze, E.I. Kamitsos, E. Fargin, and V. Rodriguez, J. Phys. Chem. C 111, 14560 (2007).
15. "Thin film glassy electrolytes: structure and composition by experimental and simulated infrared spectra", E.I. Kamitsos, M. Dussauze, C.P.E. Varsamis P. Vinatier, and Y. Hamon, J. Phys. Chem. C 111, 8111 (2007).