Chemical functionalization, spectroscopic, thermal and morphological characterization.
Supramolecular chemistry and self-assembly.
Study and understanding of electronic, optical, photophysical and electrochemical properties.
Donor-acceptor hybrids for mimicking photosynthesis, solar energy conversion, photovoltaics, sol-gel, liquid crystals, non linear optics, drug and gene delivery systems.
Coordinator and principal investigator (EU-FP7, EURYI-ESF/EUROHORCs, JSPS, Chinese Academy of Sciences) or participant (EU-FP6, COST-ESF) in numerous competitive international and national (GSRT, ΕΣΠΑ) research projects in collaboration with academic and industrial organizations.
CONFERENCES AND INVITED TALKS
Over 200 announcements in international scientific conferences including plethora of invited lectures.
Organizer and chairman of the ''International Conference on Carbon Nanostructered Materials - Cnano'09'', 4-8 October, 2009, Santorini, Greece.
Organizer and chairman of the ''Fullerene Silver Anniversary Symposium - FSAS2010'', 4-10 October, 2010, Crete, Greece.
Advisory Committee Member of the Workshop ''Nanomaterials, Nanofabrication, Nanoengineering and Nanoconstruction'' at the International Conference on Nanosciences & Nanotechnologies (annually since 2011), Thessaloniki, Greece.
Local Committee Member of the ''International Conference graphene Hellas - grapHEL'', 27-30 September, 2012, Myconos, Greece.
Advisory Committee Member of the ''5th International Conference on Micro-Nanoelectronics, Nanotechnologies and MEMs - Micro&Nano2012'', 7-10 October 2012, Heraklion, Greece.
Part of graduate courses in Organic Chemistry, Chemistry Department, University of Athens, Greece (2010-present); Nanodema Summer School, University of Patra, Greece (2012); Frontiers in Science & Technology of Carbon Nanomaterials, International Summer School, Krutyn, Poland (2012); Supervision of Ph.D. students and postdoctoral researchers.
HONORS & AWARDS
European Young Investigator (EURYI) 2004 Awards, by EUROHORCs / European Science Foundation
Invitation by ''The Nobel Foundation'' to the Alfred Nobel Symposium, ''Energy in Cosmos, Molecules and Life'', Stockholm, Sweden (2005)
Invited by ''The Nobel Foundation'' to nominate scientists for the Nobel Awards in Chemistry (annually, since 2007)
Several invited talks at major international scientific conferences
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & ACTIVITIES Editorial Advisory Board MemberatChemistry of Graphene, published by Versita (since 2012); Board member at a) Current Medicinal Chemistry, b) Medicinal Chemistry, and c) Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, published by Bentham Science; National Contact Point for COST Action MP0901 ''Designing Novel Materials for Nanodevices - from Theory to Practice (NanoTP)''; Invited international partner of GDR-I (Group-de-Research) Scientific Coordination Network ''Science and Applications of Graphene and Nanotubes''; Reviewer for scientific research proposals (EU-FP7, American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund, Research Promotion Foundation of Cyprus, European Science Foundation, GSRT); Reviewer for scientific research journals in the fields of chemistry and materials science; Member of the Association of Greek Chemists; Member of the Scientific Advisory Council of TPCI.
PUBLICATIONS Over 165 original research papers in peer-reviewed journals, 8 invited review and highlight articles, 23 publications in refereed conference proceedings, 5 chapters in books, 1 book edited and 1 international patent. More than 4500 citations and h-index = 29.
1. ''Carbon nanohorn - porphyrin dimer hybrid material for enhancing photo-energy conversion'', G. Pagona, G. Zervaki, A. S. D. Sandanayaka, O. Ito, G. Charalambidis, T. Hasobe, A. G. Coutsolelos andN. Tagmatarchis, J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 9439 (2012)
2. ''Azafullerene C59N - phthalocyanine dyad: Synthesis, characterization and photoinduced electron transfer'', G. Rotas, J. Ranta, A. Efimov, M. Niemi, H. Lemmetyinen, N. Tkachenko and N. Tagmatarchis, Chem. Phys. Chem. 13, 1246 (2012)
3. ''Microwave-assisted functionalization of carbon nanohorns via [2+1] nitrenes cycloaddition'', N. Karousis, T. Ichihashi, M. Yudasaka, S. Iijima and N. Tagmatarchis,Chem. Commun. 47, 1604 (2011)
4. ''Graphene with covalently linked porphyrin antennae: Synthesis, characterization, and photophysical properties'', N. Karousis, A. S. D. Sandanayaka, T. Hasobe, S. P. Economopoulos, E. Sarantopoulou and N. Tagmatarchis, J. Mater. Chem. 21, 109 (2011)
5. ''Exfoliation and chemical modification using microwave irradiation affording highly functionalized graphene'', S. P. Economopoulos, G. Rotas, Y. Miyata, H. Shinohara and N. Tagmatarchis, ACS Nano 4, 7499 (2010)
6. ''Microwave assisted covalent functionalization of C60@SWCNT peapods'', N. Karousis, S. P. Economopoulos, Y. Iizumi, T. Okazaki, Z. Liu, K. Suenaga and N. Tagmatarchis, Chem. Commun. 46, 9110 (2010)
7. ''Chemically-induced thermally-controlled peel-off of the external walls of double-walled carbon nanotubes'', N. Karousis, K. Kobayashi, H. Shinohara and N. Tagmatarchis, Small 6, 2826 (2010)
8. ''Fullerene-coumarin dyad as selective metal receptor. Synthesis, photophysical properties, electrochemistry and ion binding studies'', G. Pagona, S. P. Economopoulos, G. K. Tsikalas, H. E. Katerinopoulos and N. Tagmatarchis, Chem. Eur. J. 16, 11969 (2010)
9. ''Molecular recognition of La@C82 endohedral metallofullerene by isophthaloyl-bridged porphyrin dimer'', G. Pagona, S. P. Economopoulos, T. Aono, Y. Miyata, H. Shinohara and N. Tagmatarchis, Tetrahedron Lett. 51, 5896 (2010)
10. ''Current progress on the chemical modification of carbon nanotubes'', N. Karousis, N. Tagmatarchis and D. Tasis, Chem. Rev. 110, 5366 (2010)
11. ''Carbon nanotubes decorated with palladium nanoparticles: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity'', N. Karousis, G. -E. Tsotsou, F. Evangelista, P. Rudolf, N. Ragoussis and N. Tagmatarchis, J. Phys. Chem. C 112, 13463 (2008)
12. ''Alignment of carbon nanotubes in weak magnetic fields'', J. Tumpane, N. Karousis, N. Tagmatarchis and B. Norden, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.47, 5148 (2008)
13. ''Azafullerene encapsulated within single-walled carbon nanotubes'', G. Pagona, G. Rotas, A. N. Khlobystov, T. W. Chamberlain, K. Porfyrakis and N. Tagmatarchis, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 130, 6062 (2008) 14. ''TerpyridineCuII-carbon nanohorns: Metallo-nanocomplexes for photoinduced charge-separation'', G. Rotas, A. S. D. Sandanayaka, N. Tagmatarchis, T. Ichihashi, M. Yudasaka, S. Iijima and O. Ito,J. Am. Chem. Soc. 130, 4725 (2008)