Ph.D in Physics, Physics Dept., University of Crete, Greece (1989)
M.Sc in Lasers and their Applications, School of Science and Engineering, University of Essex, U.K. (1983)
Diploma in Physics, Physics Dept., Aristotele University of Thessaloniki, Greece (1982)
RESEARCH & TEACHING APPOINTMENTS
2005 - :
Senior Researcher, TPCI, NHRF, Athens, Greece.
Associate Researcher, TPCI, NHRF, Athens, Greece.
Assistant Researcher, TPCI, NHRF, Athens, Greece.
Visiting Researcher, TPCI, NHRF, Athens, Greece.
Post-doctoral fellow, Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland, U.S.A.
Post-doctoral fellow, Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser, F.O.R.T.H., Heraklion, Crete, Greece.
MAIN RESEARCH INTERESTS
Theoretical investigation of:
. external electric fields on the Hydrogen Bond.
. ionic glasses.
Coordinator of three international research projects (NATO, INTAS).
Teaching the graduate course "Introduction to Molecular Simulations", in the framework of the EPEAEK program ''Applied Molecular Spectroscopy'', Chem. Dept., University of Crete, Greece, (1998-1999)
Teaching the undergraduate course, ''Computational Physics II'', Phys. Dept., Univ. of Crete, Greece, (1992)
Teaching assistant, Phys. Dept., University of Crete, Greece, (1984-1989).
HONORS & AWARDS
Post-graduate fellowships from:
1) General Secretariat of Research and Technology, Greece (1-2-1984 to 30-4-1989)
2) Greek Ministry of Education (1-10-1984 to 31-8-1985, and 1-1-1986 to 30-4-1988).
33 publications in refereed journals.
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
1. ''Translational dynamics of a cold water cluster in the presence of an external uniform electric field'', A. Vegiri, J. Chem. Phys. 116, 8786 (2002).
2. ''Molecular dynamics investigation of lithium borate glasses: Local structures and ion dynamics'', C.P.E. Varsamis, A. Vegiri and E I. Kamitsos, Phys. Rev. B65, 104203 (2002).
3. ''Reorientational relaxation and rotational-translational coupling in water clusters in a dc external electric field'', A. Vegiri, Mol. Liq. 110, 155 (2004).
4. ''Clustering and percolation in lithium borate glasses'', A. Vegiri and C.P.E. Varsamis, J. Chem. Phys. 120, 7689 (2004).
5. ''Composition- and temperature-dependence of cesium-borate glasses by molecular dynamics'', A. Vegiri, C.P.E. Varsamis and E.I. Kamitsos, J. Chem. Phys. 123, 014508 (2005).