NHRF Director and Chairman of the Board Profile
VASILIS G. GREGORIOU, Ph.D.
Director and Chairman of the Board
National Hellenic Research Foundation (NHRF)
48 Vassileos Constantinou Avenue
11635 Athens, Greece
Tel.: +30 220.127.116.110
Dr. Gregoriou is the Director and Chairman of the Board at the National Hellenic Research Foundation (NHRF). Dr. Gregoriou is an internationally known scientist with research and managerial positions in both Greece (NHRF, FORTH-ICEHT) and the US (Advent Technologies, Northeastern, MIT, Polaroid, Princeton) over his 25 year research career so far.
His research activity extends over a wide area of subjects that include the areas of flexible photovoltaics based on organic semiconductors, optically active materials based on conjugated oligomers and polymer nanocomposites. Previous subjects included the characterization of polymeric liquid crystals, the orientation characteristics of ionic polymer multilayers on patterned self-assembled monolayers and the subject of chemometrics. He is the coauthor of 3 books, 6 chapters in books, 92 refereed research papers and 146 research presentations and the co-inventor of 15 patents.
His academic teaching experience spans in both undergraduate level in the US (University of Massachusetts) as well as at the graduate level in both the USA (University of Connecticut) and Greece (University of Patras). He has also served as the President of the Society for Applied Spectroscopy (SAS) in 2001.
Dr. Gregoriou is also the Greek National Representative in the Horizon 2020 Committee for the European Research Council (ERC), the Mari Sklodowska-Curie actions, and the Future and Emerging Technologies (FET). Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU Research and Innovation program ever with nearly €80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020). The ERC's mission is to encourage the highest quality research in Europe through competitive funding and to support investigator-driven frontier research across all fields of research, on the basis of scientific excellence. A total budget of 13 095 million euro is available for the implementation of the ERC funding schemes under Horizon 2020.
Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, USA.
National Institutes of Health Research fellow, NRSA award, 1994.
Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA.
Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry, 1993.
East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
M.S. in Analytical Chemistry, 1989.
University of Patras, Patras, Greece.
B.S. in Chemistry, 1986.
Northeastern University, Boston, MA, USA.
Attended MBA Program 1997-1999.
- “Vibrational Spectroscopy of Biomolecules and Polymers” V.G. Gregoriou and M. Braiman, Editors, Taylor & Francis Co, New York, NY, (2006).
- “Polymer Spectroscopy” V.G. Gregoriou Editor, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany (2004).
- “Modern Infrared Spectroscopy: Principles and Applications” A.A. Christy, Y. Ozaki, and V.G. Gregoriou, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, the Netherlands (2001).
SELECTED REFERRED PUBLICATIONS
- “Highly Efficient Indoor Organic Solar Cells by Voltage Loss Minimization through Fine-Tuning of Polymer Structures” R. Singh, C.L. Chochos, V.G. Gregoriou, A.D. Nega, M. Kim, M. Kumar, S-C. Shin, S.H. Kim, J.W. Shim, J-J. Lee ACS applied materials & interfaces 11 36095, (2019).
- “New N-Type Solution Processable All Conjugated Polymer Network. Synthesis, Optoelectronic Characterization and Application in Organic Solar Cells” H. Bildirir, D. Di Carlo Rasi, M.M. Wienk, R.A.J. Janssen, A. Avgeropoulos, V.G. Gregoriou, S. Allard, U. Scherf, C.L. Chochos Macromol. Rapid Commun. 39 1700629, (2018).
- “Highly Efficient Solid-State Near-infrared Organic Light-Emitting Diodes incorporating A-D-A Dyes based on α,β-unsubstituted "BODIPY" Moieties” A. Zampetti, A. Minotto, B.M. Squeo, V.G. Gregoriou, S. Allard, U. Scherf, C.L. Chochos, F. Cacialli Scientific Reports 7 1611 (2017).
- "Unveiling the appropriate polymer backbone enlargement approach to enhance the power conversion efficiency in organic photovoltaics" C.L. Chochos, R. Singh, M. Kim, N. Gasparini, A. Katsouras, C. Kulshreshtha, V.G. Gregoriou, P.E. Keivanidis, T. Ameri, C.J. Brabec, K. Cho, A. Avgeropoulos Adv. Funct. Mater 26 1840, (2016).
- “Ultra Low Band Gap α,β-unsubstituted BODIPY-based Copolymer Synthesized by Palladium Catalyzed Cross-Coupling Polymerization for Near Infrared Organic Photovoltaics” B.M. Squeo, N. Gasparini, T. Ameri, A. Palma-Cando, S. Allard, V.G. Gregoriou, C.J. Brabec, U. Scherfc., C.L. Chochos Journal of Materials Chemistry A A3 16279 (2015).
- "The Role of Ethynylene Bond on the Optical and Electronic Properties of Diketopyrrolopyrrole Copolymers" P. Pattanasattayavong, M. Sygletou, E. Kymakis, E. Stratakis, F. Yan, V. G. Gregoriou, T. D. Anthopoulos, C. L. Chochos, RSC Advances 4 58404, (2014).
- “Influence of the Electron Deficient Co-monomer on the Optoelectronic Properties and Photovoltaic Performance of Dithienogermole-based Co-polymers” C.P. Yau, Z. Fei, R.S. Ashraf, M. Shahid, S.E.Watkins, P. Pattanasattayavong, T.D. Anthopoulos, V.G. Gregoriou, C.L. Chochos, M. Heeney Adv. Funct. Mater., 3, 10221 (2014).
- “Sulfonated Aromatic Polyethers Containing Pyridine Units as Electrolytes for High Temperature Fuel Cells” I. Kalamaras, M.K. Daletou, V.G. Gregoriou, J.K. Kallitsis Fuel Cells 11 921 (2011).
- “Uniaxially stretched PET/PET-MWNT nanocomposites: Effect of the MWNTs on the chain conformations of PET” S. Tzavalas and V.G. Gregoriou Vibr. Spectr. 46 135 (2008).
- “Synthesis of a Soluble n-Type Cyano Substituted Polythiophene Derivative: A Potential Electron Acceptor in Polymeric Solar Cells” C.L. Chochos, S.P. Economopoulos, V. Deimede, V.G. Gregoriou, M.T. Lloyd, G.G. Malliaras, J.K. Kallitsis J. Phys. Chem. C 111 10732 (2007).
- “Effect of Carboxy-Functionalized Multiwall Nanotubes (MWNT−COOH) on the Crystallization and Chain Conformations of Poly(ethylene terephthalate) PET in PET−MWNT Nanocomposites” S. Tzavalas, V. Drakonakis, D.E. Mouzakis, D. Fischer, V. G. Gregoriou Macromolecules 39 9150 (2006).
- “Rod–Coil Block Copolymers Incorporating Terfluorene Segments for Stable Blue Light Emission” C.L. Chochos, J.K. Kallitsis, V.G. Gregoriou J. Phys. Chem. B 109 8755 (2005).
- “Molecular Composition and Orientation of Insterstitial versus Surface Silicon Oxides for Si(111)/SiO2 and Si(100)/SiO2 Interfaces using FT-IR and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopies” V.G. Gregoriou, G. Kandilioti, A. Siokou, S. Kennou, V. Papaeuthimiou Appl. Spectrosc. 57, 628 (2003).
- “Quantitative Depth Profile Analysis of Micron Thick Multi-Layered Thin Coatings Using Step-Scan FT-IR Photoacoustic Spectroscopy” V.G. Gregoriou, and S.E. Rodman, Anal. Chem. 74 (10), 2361 (2002).
- “A Study of the Viscoeleastic Behavior of Novel Side Chain Liquid Crystalline Polyurethanes Using Dynamic Infrared Spectroscopy” B.R. Nair, V.G. Gregoriou, P.T. Hammond, J. Phys. Chem. B. 104, 7874 (2000).
- “Infrared Studies of Novel Optically Responsive Materials; Orientation Characteristics of Sulfonated Polystyrene/Poly(diallyldimethylammonium chloride) Ionic Polymer Multilayers on Patterned Self-Assembled Monolayers” V.G. Gregoriou, R. Hapanowicz, S. L. Clark, P.T. Hammond, Appl. Spectrosc. 51, 311 (1997).
- "FT-IR Difference Spectroscopy of Hemoglobins A and Kempsey: Evidence That a Key Quaternary Interaction Induces Protonation of Asp b99" V.G. Gregoriou, V. Jayaraman, X. Hu, T.G. Spiro, Biochem. 34, 6876 (1995).
- "Modification of a Research-Grade FT-IR Spectrometer for Optional Step-Scan Operation" V.G. Gregoriou, M. Daun, M.W. Schauer, J.L. Chao, R.A. Palmer, Appl. Spectrosc. 47, 1311 (1993).
- "Time-Resolved Vibrational Spectroscopy of an Electric Field-Induced Transition in a Nematic Liquid Crystal by use of Step-Scan 2D FT-IR" V.G. Gregoriou, J.L. Chao, H. Toriumi, R.A. Palmer, Chem. Phys. Lett. 179, 491 (1991).
- "Nonlinear Multivariate Calibration using Principal Components Regression and Artificial Neural Networks" P.J. Gemperline, J.R. Long, V.G. Gregoriou, Anal. Chem. 63, 2313 (1991).
- "Spectroscopic Calibration and Quantitation using Artificial Neural Networks" J.R. Long, V.G. Gregoriou, P.J. Gemperline, Anal. Chem. 62, 1791 (1990).
Full List of Publications